Online Account Frequently Asked Questions

​Q: Not sure which option to choose?

A: A joint account is owned by two or more persons. Each of you intends that upon your death the balance in the account (subject to any previous pledge to which we have consented) will belong to the survivor(s). If two or more of you survive, you will own the balance in the account as joint owners. 

Q: How can I find my card security code (CVV)?

A: Turn your card over and look at the signature box. You should see either the entire 16-digit credit card number or just the last four digits followed by a special 3-digit code. This 3-digit code is your CVV number / Card Security Code. 

Q: Why is an e-mail address needed?

A: Bankers Trust requires you to provide us with a valid, active e-mail address so we can communicate with you regarding your relationship with the Bank. We don’t like junk mail any more than you do. We won’t share your e-mail address with another company without your explicit, specific consent. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.​   

Q: Why is a Social Security number needed?

A: To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. What this means for you: When you open an account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see your driver’s license or other identifying documents.   

Q: Employment Status – What is this? 

A: Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify and record information that identifies each person who opens an account.  

Q: Employer Name – Why do you need this information? 

A: Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify and record information that identifies each person who opens an account.  

Q: What is an occupation description? 

A: An occupation description is a one- to three-word phrase that best explains the job you do for your company. 

Q: What is a U.S. person?

A: According to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the term  U.S. person means:

  • A citizen or resident of the United States
  • A domestic partnership
  • A domestic corporation
  • Any estate other than a foreign estate\
  • Any trust if:
    • A court within the United States is able to exercise primary supervision over the administration of the trust, and
    • One or more United States persons have the authority to control all substantial decisions of the trust
  • Any other person that is not a foreign person.

Q: What is FATCA?

A: Under FATCA, certain U.S. taxpayers holding financial assets outside the United States must report those assets to the IRS. In addition, FATCA will require foreign financial institutions to report directly to the IRS certain information about financial accounts held by U.S. taxpayers, or by foreign entities in which U.S. taxpayers hold a substantial ownership interest.

Q: Funding method - How do you want to fund your account?

A: There are multiple options for funding a new account:

  1. 1. Mail a personal check – Once you have completed the application process to open your new account online, you will receive a confirmation page and confirmation e-mail listing the address to which you can mail your initial deposit in the form of a paper check. 

  2. ​2. Set up a direct deposit – In most cases, employers or other payors are able to set up recurring, electronic payments directly to your account. You’ll need to provide your Bankers Trust account number and the routing number 073000642.

  3. 3. Transfer money from a different account – An electronic funds transfer is a transfer between accounts made electronically through the Automated Clearing House. Electronic funds transfers can be used to make initial deposits to Bankers Trust accounts opened online. The transfer can come from an existing Bankers Trust account or your account at another financial institution.

  4. 4. Use my credit or debit card – Using a credit or debit card allows you to transfer money for your intiial deposit from another financial institution without having to enter all of your account information. You will only need the information found on your credit or debit card.

  5. 5. Transfer money from one of these accounts – This option allows you to transfer money from an existing account you own at Bankers Trust into your new account opened online. Deposit account balance information may not reflect recent transactions and may include funds that are not available for immediate withdrawal, including any holds placed on your account.   

  6. 6. Set up a rollover – Funds are sent from your current custodian to you. You then complete a rollover request form and submit it with the money to deposit to your new HSA.

  7. 7. Transfer money from a different HSA – A transfer request form is sent to your current custodian who processes the request and transfers funds to Bankers Trust who deposits the money in your new HSA.

Q: What if I need to change personal information?  

A: If you are a new customer to Bankers Trust and your information is incorrect, click the Change button to correct it before submitting your application. If you are an existing Bankers Trust customer, contact Customer Service at 1-800-362-1688 so we may assist you. 

Q: What is backup withholding? 

A: Backup withholding is a type of withholding for federal income taxes on certain types of income, such as interest or dividends. Backup withholding may be applied when an investor or accountholder has not met rules regarding taxpayer identification numbers (TINs). The IRS will notify you if you are required to have backup withholding.   

Q: Need help locating your verification code? 

A: A verification code was sent to you at the e-mail address you provided during the application process. If you no longer have your e-mail, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-362-1688.

OAC FAQ | Bankers Trust